Frank

Default lost foam casting - follow up - 2

First off - I regret that I'm starting all these new threads, on the
same topic, but when I try to "Reply to message" it takes me to a new
thread window... But that's NOT what I want to say!!!

Thanks for the various suggestions...

I do want to follow-up on a couple of the responses...

Degassing/Flux solution & Porosity due to Excessive melt Temps...

I have come to understand that Degassing agents & Flux agents are
essentially the same thing is this true? Also the idea that I can have
the slag/dross precipitate into a dry powder on top of the melt sounds
very desirable as I typically skim a pound or more of slag with good
material melted in per melt.

I'm slowly getting the idea that Chlorine is the active ingredient, or
is it sodium (I will go back and re-read the reply's one more time)...
The supplies that I have coming from www.smelko.com essentially were
thrown in for free along with the Petro-Bond order. I'll try some
comparisons on a pot per pot basis to assay the difference between the
commercial product vs a readily available substitute... Though Smelko
sells the degasser for about $1.50/lb CDN.

Also, any additional info on the "water glass (solution of sodium
silicate)" would be greatly appreciated as I've never heard of this
process. In the mean time I'll google on both water glass & sodium
silicate, to get somewhat upto speed.

Lastly, my gut feeling is that porosity (pitting or bubbles in the
solidified pattern) is due to pouring the metal too hot. Or is it a
result of bringing the metal to high in temp and would result in the
pour regardless of the pouring temp once the temp threshold has been
exceeded in the initial melting temp???

Thanks for all the info!!!

Frank
www.theworkshop.ca