NSM

"Damian Menscher" wrote in message
| A pet project for the past several years is repairing an ancient
| Tektronix 674 oscilloscope. (The high voltage circuit was going into
| One problem: Rat Shack says these have a "max working voltage" of
| 350V (see http://www.radioshack.com/search.asp?find=271-1134). Are
| Finally, my crazy idea of protecting myself from electrocution is to
| encase this thing in the plastic barrel of a Bic pen. They seem
| about the right size, plastic doesn't conduct, and as long as I hold
| it at the low-voltage end, it seems reasonably safe. Am I asking
| for trouble here, or does that seem reasonable for measuring only up
| to 7kV? I suppose I could build a safer handle onto it if needed.

1. I'd be reluctant to push the voltage too far. If one flashes over they
all will. You're probably OK but be cautious.

2. Don't even THINK of using a hand held probe. Hook the divider up to the
circuit, turn the scope on and check the voltage. Don't touch anything
except the scope on/off switch or however you control this setup.

3. 5% is near enough.

4. If you want to own a probe, buy the real thing on eBay. Remember: "One
flash and you're ash"!