On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:47:41 -0700, s wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:51:03 -0800, "ted harris"
wrote:

In news:Bob typed:
Would you pay $100 for everytime Sawstop fired or misfired to replace
the parts? Would you be comfortable installing safety mechanisms
yourself? Personally, I would answer No to both questions and therein
lies the dilemma for being commercially viable in the hobbyist market.
Bob

In my case it would be $70- for the cartridge, and $110- for the blade...and
I would like to state emphatically "yes" that I would gladly pay that many
times to keep my fingers and limbs intact. Is there really any other way to
look at it? Maybe for someone that was so cheap that they can justify not
spending the money to keep their digits and limbs there is a different
answer...but I don't think so!

ok, ted, your fingers are worth more than a couple hundred bucks.
granted.

what isn't known is the rate of false positives. that information
*cannot* be known until the machine has been in use in actual workshop
use for some time.

snip

There's another problem here. Technology which is rushed into wide use
by government mandate may not be completely understood and hence not
fully developed. This happened with air bags and produced a lot of
injuries.

See:
http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/abstract/90/10/1575

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent