TWS

On 15 Dec 2004 14:47:13 -0800, "bscott03"
wrote:

I'm in the market for a thickness planer and am considering the dw734
and the dw 735. There's a DeWalt rebate on the 734 of 50 dollars and
none on the 735, making the price difference ~150 bucks. The only
major difference I can see in reading the specs is the 735 offers a
second, faster, cutting speed.

Can anyone tell me if this speed is nec.? Or can I save my $$?
Thanks in advance!
Brian

Depends on what kind of wood you plan to use. I have a single speed
planer and every time I have a highly figured piece of wood I wish I
could slow the feed speed down to half - even with new knives in it.
It is very hard to prevent tear out even when taking very shallow
cuts. Finish isn't the issue, you can always sand. Tear outs are
tougher to deal with...

If you're only going to run wood that doesn't have grain reversals
then two speeds would be a waste of money.

TWS