sandman

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

Good information sandman but I find the properties of wood and those of
solid surface counter tops to apparently be different.

Leon, I couldn't agree more. When working with wood, it usually is in
anticipation of a series of finishing steps. Surface prep for stain
alone requires a whole different approach than any I would be concerned
with in Solid Surface. I also don't concern myself with sanding steps
which set up for the next coat (for adhesion purposes, cohesion in
laquer). Since 1976, I guestimate that I have done all the doors and
end-panels for about 500 kitchens and many more library shelves etc etc.
Different woods, different schedules. Different stains, different
schedules etc. Catalyzed laquers, milk/washes, solid colours, shiny
finishes, matte finishes, high-tech 3 part acrylics, every job was
different.
One of my guys made me a hunter and his dog in intarsia. Hand buffed,
sanded, waxed, stroked, fondled, licked, kissed, polished. The finish
was immaculate. Jewelry grade. I have the highest respect for guys like
that. He wasn't in my spray-booth very long though... too picky...too
slow.

I semi-retired in Sept 2003. All I have left, business wise, is my solid
surface dept. It allows me to make plans to build a shop on my property
so I can go completely anal and make sawdust. Will my shop have a
DeVilbiss downdraft booth with HVLP guns and pot-fed laquer???
Not on your life. I want to make things that are hand buffed, sanded,
waxed, stroked, fondled, licked, kissed, polished. Like dashboards for
old Jaguars....yea...that's it... burl... *drools*

I never clean the
wood surface between grits and get magnifying glass good results. That said
however I use a premium 3M paper all the time.

I couldn't imagine changing paper and NOT cleaning in between.

Doesn't make me a bad person *grins*