There is no 'deal'. We had a few other preapproved loans - we went with
them after their manager repeatedly assured us they will give us the
rate they stated they would. They basically begged us for the business.
And we gave them a chance - I figure it they came back and said it's
going to be 0.5 higher, I'd go with our other options - The fact they
were so low as to withheld information until the last minute when one
is out of options is beyond my wildest dreams.

If my orignal posting serves to warn just one potential mortgage
borrowers against such predatory practices, it would have served it's
purpose.