Joseph Meehan

Chris Kernaghan wrote:
Hi,

My wife and I are looking at a derelict house as our second home, and
a renovation project.

We are going to view the property in a couple of days, and although I
have bought my current house and followed due diligence in purchasing
it. I am unfamiliar with what to look for in an older house.

The house is roughly one hundred years old, a red brick built by an
english company. It certainly looks like a middle class dwelling
built to a high specification.

The vendor also purcahsed the house for renovation, but does not
appear to have proceeded with the project (he appears to be filithy
rich) but he has said that it will need a new heating system, new
water system and new electrics.

One last thing, this house is not currently for sale, I contacted the
vendor after looking up the property on the land registry database,
so any advice on how to proceed with any sale would be good too.

TIA

Chris aka BoobBoo

Since you are not in a position to accurately estimate the cost of all
this, nor to evaluate the property, I suggest you do two things. First have
a home inspector check out the house to get a list of what will be needed.
They may not get it all, but likely more than you will see yourself. Next
get a professional appraisal of the property so you have some starting point
for determining if the price is fair. Then you will have a much better idea
of what you are getting into and can decide if you really want this.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math