jim

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:13:31 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

jim wrote in message
.. .

I didn't break the pipe I just was "about" to insulate it for

the
winter when I discovered the leak (very small hairline crack).

I knew
I couldn't fix it properly so I hired a man. He said to keep

it
insulated even in the summer due to our southern temperatures

(95
degrees typically) which I had not done hence I say this repair

was my
fault because I didn't keep it insulated during the summer

months. It
was NOT caused by me futzing with it.

PVC pipe is probably more bothered by the UV in the sun than the
heat of it. White PVC becomes very brittle after a few years in
the sun. Even painting it can help.

Bob

Bob, that's an interesting idea. Maybe I'll paint it when the
insulation wears off.

When the repair man installed the backflow, he insulated it for me and
then wrapped it well with electrical tape (lots of tape).