On 15 Dec 2004 06:14:01 -0800, someone wrote:

You know those outdoor firepits you put wood in and have screens like
fireplace screens? Well, they say to not use on a wood deck.

They "say" that trying to keep from getting sued by dingbats who burn
down their houses starting with a deck fire.

Personally, I would not charcoal or gas barbeque on a wood deck, but
many people do. (I have a raised stone patio; gravel fill inside
timber crib, just for the grill, but many people would have just had a
deck there.)

You wanna do it, go ahead, its your deck. And if it catches fire,
don't come running to us. You were warned.

-v.