BigWallop

"pizza" wrote in message
news

Hi there,

Any experiences with air admittance valves?

I'm refurbishing my bathroom.
At the moment the stack pipe takes air from the outside (the roof), and
this means that I have a column in a corner of my bathroom.
To save space, and why not to improve insulation, I would like to cut
my stack pipe halfway (say at basin overflow level) and close it with
an air admittance valve on top.
What do you think?

Also, what's the position of building control about this? Is this stuff
regulated?
I'll ask them tomorrow, but BC in my council tends to answer very
randomly. So I guess if I get an answer I don't like I'll try again

Cheers,
Julian

pizza

The main stack is there to keep sewer gases from building up inside the
pipes. Sewer gases are very, very explosive and should always be vented to
the open air where possible. Closing the stack with an AAV is a very
dangerous thing to do, but if your BCO guy still gives you an answer you
don't like, then by all means try your idea and find out.

---