Charles Spitzer

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Leon responds:

I have never known or thought a car with ABS would stop shorter and I have
the background for working in the automotive industry for 23 years. It
simply helps you maintain control of the vehicle particularly when on an
inconsistent or slick surface. I have never really heard that ABS makes a
car stop shorter.

Well, I've been piddling with cars for more than twice that long, though
not
often from an industry standpoint. But I had thought that ABS was supposed
keep that sucker in a straight line, which generally will mean shorter
stops
than does skidding, letting up on the brakes and correcting before
slamming 'em
down again.

that's for rear wheel only abs. 4 wheel abs lets you stop in turns.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...absbrakes.html

I'd like to see some test results--I'm sure someone did some at some
time--comparing ABS stop distances to an expert driver who pumps away with
abandon.

abs pulses at 10 times/second. i'm not sure an expert can do that, and they
for sure can't just pump the brake at a single wheel that is slipping. most
things i've read is that it is just about equal to an expert driver. it also
depends upon the surface: on loose sand/snow, abs can lengthen the stop
distance.

Of course, part of the problem is the number of drivers who perceive
themselves
as experts, when most of them aren't even competent beginners when it
comes to
emergency maneuvers.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir
Winston
Churchill