Andy Cuffe

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:30:31 GMT, Adam wrote:

Thanks for the reply William. I forgot to mention that I did check the
battery. It was only putting out a third of a volt compared to the 3.6
it should. Not wanting to spend $15 on a new battery I pulled the
battery out of my cell phone, soldered a couple of leads to it and
connected connected it to the terminals (whatever works). Unfortunately
it didn't help. It still only blinks for a half second or so the first
time I hit the power button.

--adam

These imacs will work with a dead battery.

That capacitor is certainly worth checking, but it's not unusual for
some caps to have a plastic insulator on top which domes out when the
shrink tubing is put on. If it has such a plastic insulator, try
cutting it off to see if the actual metal can is bulging out. If the
can looks fine, the cap is probably ok.

The big problem I've seen with these is due to an interaction between
mac os 10.3 and the original firmware. It causes all kinds of
problems with the built in display and even causes it to shut down if
it gets bad enough. It should power up for about 5 seconds though if
this was the problem. This fix for this is to update the firmware if
you can get it to boot.

It does sound like a problem with the monitor/power supply board. I
would try it with everything unplugged such as the hard drive,
DVD-ROM, and RAM just in case one of these id drawing too much
current.
Andy Cuffe