J. Clarke

Charlie Self wrote:

Leon responds:

I have never known or thought a car with ABS would stop shorter and I have
the background for working in the automotive industry for 23 years. It
simply helps you maintain control of the vehicle particularly when on an
inconsistent or slick surface. I have never really heard that ABS makes a
car stop shorter.

Well, I've been piddling with cars for more than twice that long, though
not often from an industry standpoint. But I had thought that ABS was
supposed to keep that sucker in a straight line, which generally will mean
shorter stops than does skidding, letting up on the brakes and correcting
before slamming 'em down again.

Actually, it does a bit more than that--it allows steering control during
maximum performance braking. I remember Mercedes demonstrating the
original system--Rudi Uhlenhaut (apologies if I've misspelled his name)
took a new Mercedes flat out around the track at Indianapolis, with one of
the corners wetted down, slammed on the brakes coming into the wet curve,
and steered right through it with the brake pedal all the way down.

The old Bendix system that worked only on the back wheels kept it straight
but let the fronts lock and thus there was no steering control.

I'd like to see some test results--I'm sure someone did some at some
time--comparing ABS stop distances to an expert driver who pumps away with
abandon.

Of course, part of the problem is the number of drivers who perceive
themselves as experts, when most of them aren't even competent beginners
when it comes to emergency maneuvers.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir
Winston Churchill

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)