N. Thornton

Default Concrete Pad with single brick wall on 3 sides

"Julian" wrote in message ...

Consequesntly the concrete pad will need a wall on 3 sides to support the
earth behind it if you see what I mean.

The pad itselef will be about 8'by 6' which includes about a foot extra
width for the small wall on the 3 sides (shed is 7' x 5'). The wall willl
only be 4 bricks high.

To support the shed, I have read that no hardcore foundation is necessary
and the concrete should be about 3 inches thick. However I would think that
the wall will need a bit more support.

My qurestions are these; How should I approach this? Should I dig down a bit
further 1 foot from the edge on the 3 sides and put extra concrete in there
or will I be able to get away with 3 inches all over. Will I need any
expansion joints in the pad as well. If I should put some in where should I
put them.

This is my first attempt at doing this sort of thing and am quite looking
forward to the challenge.

TIA

Julian

Hi

This is a retaining wall, and although the load on retaining walls is
pretty heavy, yours will only be 4 bricks high. I would expect that a
single layer of brick would be adequate for such a small thing. I
would give the wall a foundation myself, not just rely on the pad to
not move.

Since its outdoors with no heating it will freeze: I expect ordinary
bricks would therefore deteriorate over time. Engineering bricks would
last better, and since youre using so few of them theyd cost minimal
extra. Someone may well disagree on that point.

I dont know what regulations exist around these things, but there
might be some you'd want to comply with.

Regards, NT