J. Clarke

Bruce Barnett wrote:

"J. Clarke" writes:

There is no "false dilemma". If your saw doesn't work then you have to
do something about it and the only real solution that does not involve
fixing the saw is to [buy] a new saw.

Why is this the "only real solution?"
There are others as well.

Which are?

It is a SawStop saw that they sell.

That _who_ sell? We're talking about a saw with a Sawstop. It doesn't have
to be _their_ saw, it could be a Delta or a Jet or a Grizzly or a
Craftsman. The assumption is just that for whatever reason the saw that
you have has a Sawstop on it.

If a $1600 saw becomes a fused
pile of metal, then this would be a major marketing problem. I would
assume there is a warranty.

While that is true, it is irrelevant and I don't understand why you bring it
up. I'm not sure what point you think you are addressing. The fact that a
Sawstop cartridge destroys itself when it activates and has to be replaced
at a cost of approximately $100 is claimed by Sawstop. If you think they
are lying about that then you should take it up with them.

One might have purchased an extended service contract.
Someone may buy the used one from you for half price and fix it
themselves. There may be an after-market kit to fix it.

There _is_ "after-market kit to fix it". It's called a "Sawstop cartridge"
and Sawstop gets $100 for it. It's patented, there's no other source for
it than Sawstop or one of their licensees.

If one purchased an "extended service contract" it's debatable whether that
would cover the Sawstop cartridge, which is designed to destroy itself when
it operates, and which I would expect to be considered a consumable part
like brake pads on a car. In any case, one would still have to replace the
cartridge.

If someone buys the used one from you and fixes it himself, you are still
without a saw until you buy a new one.

You are talking about a possible consequence that there is no evidence
that is it real.

I'm sorry, but what "consequence" is that? You do something that triggers
the Sawstop, the Sawstop triggers--that's its purpose and it is designed to
do that and if it fails to do that then the manufacturer would be open to
serious liability claims. When the Sawstop triggers, the cartridge
destroys itself while stopping the blade. That is not a matter of
conjecture, that is the manner in which the manufacturer claims that it
operates, and one would assume that he would know this about his product.
To replace the cartridge will cost you or the warranty company or
_somebody_ $100. That again is not a matter of conjecture. That is the
amount that the manufacturer of the Sawstop says that he is going to charge
for the replacement part. Again, one may assume that he knows this about
his product.

So I fail to understand what "possible consequence that there is no evidence
that is it real" you are talking about.

You might as well say "Yeah, but the blade might
come loose and go flying through the air at 100 miles an hour" or "It
might start a fire and burn my house down" or "The God of
woodworkers might strike me down for being disrespectful to the Law of
Fingers."

If the manufacturer of the Sawstop claimed that it would make the blade come
loose and go flying through the air at 100 miles an hour or that it would
start a fire and burn the house down or that it would make the God of
woodworkers strike one down for being disrespectful to the Law of Fingers
then it would be reasonable to discuss those as normal consequences of its
use. He does not claim that. He claims that when it activates, the
cartridge must be replaced at a cost of $100.

So, when it fires, your choice is to replace the cartridge for $100 out of
your pocket or out of somebody's pocket, get a new saw that works without
your having to replace the cartridge, or to not saw. I see no room for
conjecture here.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)