Leon

"patrick conroy" wrote in message news:i7r392-

Not to jump into the middle of this arg - but IIRC, one of the rags (C&D
and
R&T) had some fun here. They had run across some Driving School where the
instruction was to "lock 'em up and lock 'em up hard." I think they
brought
in some "semi-pro" drivers and tried to see who could stop shorter with
the
most control. A pro who put the foot down to the limit of locking, or an
amature who just stomped on the pedal.

The conditions were dry - and the locked up brakes consistently stopped
shorter.

I have never known or thought a car with ABS would stop shorter and I have
the background for working in the automotive industry for 23 years. It
simply helps you maintain control of the vehicle particularly when on an
inconsistent or slick surface. I have never really heard that ABS makes a
car stop shorter.