Leon

"Hank Gillette" wrote in message news:hankgillette-

How do they help sell cars? They're required.

Only required for the front driver and passenger. Our car had the selling
feature of having additionally front side impact air bags and rear seat side
impact air bags.

At least some sort of passive restraint system is required, and I don't
think anyone likes the
seat belts that wrap themselves around you automatically.

I'm not in favor of requiring safety equipment that hasn't been proven.

Air bags have been proven. The insurance industry has figures to prove
that. You wold not get discounts for air bags if you car was not equipped
with them.