jim rozen

In article , Glenn Lyford says...

Inches ===== Measurement plane =====
in from Horiz. Vert., Vert.,
end unclamped clamped
------ ------ ------ ------
0 1.626 1.628 1.625
1 1.626 1.625 1.624
2 1.625 1.625 1.623
3* 1.623 1.623 1.622
4 1.623 1.622 1.622
*- End of the clamp slit.

...I would expect boring
would give me a more accurate hole should the wear
not be even front-to-back or top-to-bottom, whereas
the reamer would follow the hole as worn, yes?

Yes it would I think. If you just stuffed a reamer in there,
the tailstock would probably droop by quite a lot afterwards.
So boring it is a good way to go.

Do you know anyone with a milling machine with a long enough
travel, to simply set it up and do it in one shot? In this
case of course you would want to indicate to the ways on the
underside of the tailstock, or to the bottom part of the
upper casting, if it's a split casting. The latter would
be a bit better if the tailstock way surface were worn.

Jim

please reply to: