Jim Green "nospam !!!" wrote:
My first post so please be kind!

Need to start new kitchen circuit wiring before 1st Jan. You all know why!

According to my (slightly old) DIY book I can use 2.5mm T&E with a 20amp
MCB for a maximum floor area of 20 square meters. My CU is in the

The current OSG gives a maximum recommended area of 50 sq meters.

kitchen pantry so the total floor area the cable will cover is
definitely less that 20 square meters. On this circuit I plan to have:

Fridge
Dishwasher
Kettle
Microwave
Toaster
Cooker Hood

The book says unlimited sockets.

Now my question is purely theoretical as I am going to do a ring circuit
instead. But given the above why should I make it a ring circuit?

No reason at all *except* that the loading is probably getting pretty
close to the 20 amps maximum on a 2.5sq mm radial. The kettle alone
takes 12 amps or thereabouts.

The recommendations in the OSG etc. are just that, recommendations.
For kitchens in particular the maximum load on the circuit (or
circuits) may mean that you need more circuits than would at first
seem reasonable.

That said I much prefer 2.5sq mm radial circuits to ring mains in many
cases. They have several advantages:-
No need to limit the number of spurs, the whole thing is (quite
legitimately) a multi-branched spur.

No need to check whether sockets are on spurs or 'on the ring'
when adding extra sockets.

Easier routing of cables as there's no necessity to make a ring.

Possibly more separation of different areas into separate
circuits.

I have a separate 20 amp MCB radials for the following:-

Study, lots of computers etc.

Daughter's bedroom, was an extension so added a circuit to supply
it.

Garage.

Other outdoor circuits.

If I was starting from scratch I think I'd go for all radial circuits
except possibly in the kitchen where the extra capacity of a ring
dedicated to the kitchen may be useful/necessary. (Though you could,
I suppose, go for a radial wired with 4sq mm)

--
Chris Green