Asimov

"James Sweet" bravely wrote to "All" (15 Dec 04 00:06:07)
--- on the heady topic of " Bought Sylvania 20" flat screen (???almost
flat???) for $99"

JS From: "James Sweet"

JS "Andy Cuffe" bravely wrote to "All" (14 Dec 04 12:43:38)
JS --- on the heady topic of " Bought Sylvania 20" flat screen
JS (???almost flat???) for $99"
AC It's very common for cheaper TVs to have a CRT like this. It's
AC basically just a standard CRT with extra glass to make the outside
AC flat. The thicker glass makes the picture look worse and the set
AC heavier, but people want flat screens... Even CRTs that appear
AC totally flat are actually slightly curved on the inside.

JS "Asimov" wrote in
JS message ...
Andy, how is the colour affected by the extra time the beam has to
travel at the edges compared to the center? Is there a compensation
for this and does it even need to be corrected for?

JS Why would the color be affected? The beam sweeps across the screen at
JS a constant rate, the distance makes no difference, we're talking about
JS something with effectively zero mass travelling at very high speed, a
JS few cm will have no effect.

I calculate (from speed of light delay aprox 9ns/ft) that there is a
phase shift of about 1 degree of 3.58MHz for a 1 inch difference.
Forgive me, I don't know what I was thinking, the guns are only
intensity modulated from the phase difference in the subcarrier & not
at the crt. Okay, I answered my own question. Thanks, James & Andy!
As the late Gilda Radner would say, "Never mind!"

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... This message transmitted on 100% recycled photons.