NSM

"David Farber" wrote in message

| I'm fairly certain it's an AC motor. There are no sign of any rectifiers
| external to the motor. There are also some capacitors (motor starting?)
| adjacent to the motor.

I'd bet dollars to donuts it's a PSC (permanent split phase capacitor)
motor. This has two windings. A capacitor is switched from one winding to
the other which will make the motor reverse even while running. See

http://www.iprocessmart.com/leeson/l...se_article.htm

It's a good choice for this service. It could also be a cap start, cap run,
but they are harder to stop and reverse.

| The wiring uses two ganged circuit breakers in the fuse
| box so does that mean it's running on 240V? I can only locate one 120V
line
| coming into the box. Perhaps the other side of the 120V line is wired
directly
| to the motor and the wires are hidden by the enclosure.

Could be 120 or 240 if the two breakers are locked together so opening one
opens the other. You don't need a grounded line if the motor is 240V. What
does the nameplate say?