Gunner

On 14 Dec 2004 22:58:09 GMT, (Charles A.
Sherwood) wrote:

Charles Morrill wrote:
Is their a consensus out there regarding small surface grinders?

It sounds like you don't need a wonderful machine, just a useable machine..
I own a Rockwell "toolmakers" grinder which can be used as a surface
grinder or a tool/cutter grinder. Works well in my home shop and was
easy to move to the basement.

I also played with a Boyer shultz at a local machinery dealer. Even though
it looked a bit ratty, it ran well and left a nice finish. Probably better
than my toolmakers grinder. I think the price was about 1k. My understanding
is that it is a fairly easy machine to move too.

So if a manual machine will do what you need, it will be cheaper and
easier to move. It is nice to have a machine with hydrolic power feed
and coolent, but I suspect they will cost more and be more difficult
to move. Also, will the machine be in a heated shop? If not, I bet that
makes using coolent more difficult.

Ive got 2 Very nice Jones-Shipman surface grinders, full power feed,
located in Santa Ana, California. $1000 for one, $1500 for the other
(mostly cosmetic differences) and the owner is motivated.

And of course I have several fixer upper Boyer Shultz grinders for
about a 1/3 of that G

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third
hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're
around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right
before demode` (out of fashion).
-Buddy Jordan 2001