David Farber

Subject: Automatic driveway gate.
From: "NSM"
Date: 12/14/2004 11:28 AM Pacific Standard Time

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:sEGvd.3675$Z%1.1396@trnddc03...

| With a DC motor if both close at once it should behave exactly as it does
| with both open, both sides of the motor are connected to the same supply
| rail and nothing happens. If it's a reversible AC motor I'd have to look
at
| the wiring to find out what happens, but I would think the worst case
would
| be a blown fuse, we're not talking a 10hp 3 phase industrial motor here.

Probably a PSC motor. If the makers used an interlock system, I'm not going
to try to second guess them.

I'm fairly certain it's an AC motor. There are no sign of any rectifiers
external to the motor. There are also some capacitors (motor starting?)
adjacent to the motor. The wiring uses two ganged circuit breakers in the fuse
box so does that mean it's running on 240V? I can only locate one 120V line
coming into the box. Perhaps the other side of the 120V line is wired directly
to the motor and the wires are hidden by the enclosure.

By the way, I was successful in locating a company, whose name escapes me at
the moment, that will research a replacement for the shorted solenoid.
Hopefully, I can get this thing working with its original design in tact.

Thanks for your replies.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center