"J. Clarke" wrote in message
J wrote:

If there were 300,000 saws that required re-activation and new blades
every year (and you are talking US only) at a cost of several hundred
dollars each, you would see the price of pre-sawstop saws go through
the roof.

You would also likely see a class action suit from users of expensive
sawblades for damage due to false positives.

If in fact the blade is damaged. Does the current version of the

Sawstop
damage the blade?

When I looked at it the answer was yes.

Is that still the case?

I did my research. Your turn.

If you blow a fuse, you do not have a breaker to flip.

Right. This is why I replaced my fused electrical service with a set of
circuit breakers. I still have a box of fuses. If you want them let me know.

You have to unscrew
or unplug the old fuse and put a new one in. If you don't have a
replacement fuse you have to go get one. If this happens on your car at
midnight in a blizzard on a rareley travelled road, then you're screwed.

Actually, since fuses are a dime a piece and there are always some extras
included in the fuse compartment this isn't much of an issue unless you
forget to replace them a number of times. And in the situation where you
really truly don't have a fuse you just take one from something that you
don't need. Power windows for example. I have done this on more than one
occasion. On another occasion I blew a big starter fuse which was unusual
enough that I didn't have a spare and that most auto parts stores don't
carry. I fashioned one out of some wire I had in the trunk.

In none of these cases was I carrying around a spare part which cost a
substantial fraction of the car's original cost.

Sure it is an interesting idea, but it doesn't have practicallity on

it's
side. Saw manufacturers want to sell saws. They do not want to have

deal with servicing saws. Saw buyers want to use saws. They do not

want
wait for service which they can not perform themselves.

So they put the in themselves. Nobody has said anything about "waiting

for
service".

You disagree with me. That is OK. I'm just glad I don't HAVE to buy one

if
I don't want one.

I don't particularly like the product or the company and probably would

not
make it a consideration in purchasing a saw. I was merely speculating on

way that the company might persuade saw manufacturers to use their

product.

But your objections for the most part do not appear to be valid.

Then why didn't the saw makers buy into this device? Why didn't the CPSC
approve their petition? Why aren't people lining up to buy this saw?

Can it all just be conspiracy? Go ask Occam.

-j