SteveB

Default Foredom Hand Rotary Tool Question

I am looking at Foredom tools to use them for finishing work on light welds.
I will also be touching up the veining on stamped rods that look like tree
limbs. I need a tool that will use a wheel or cutter, and cut veins up to
1/8" thick, but mostly less. The welds I need to dress would amount to 1/4
to 1/2 square inch. Not a lot.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which unit would be the best for
this. They come in all sorts of horsepowers and RPMS. A Makita grinder is
14,000 rpm, and these go up to 18,000.

Should I just bite the bullet, and go for the big one since it has a foot
pedal to vary the speed and compensate for different work? Would the
smaller ones like 1/6 or 1/8 hp be an invitation to burnout?

What do you think?

Or would a top of the line Dremel be acceptable?

How about replacement tool cost comparisons?

Yah, yah, I know I can find all this out by googling, and reading the
Foredom literature I got, but I would like to hear from someone who's been
there, done that.

TIA

Steve