Jon Elson

My Clausing 8540 specifies Shell Tellus No. 29 Hydraulic Oil for the
variable speed drive and S.A.E No. 140 Hypoid Extreme Pressure Oil for
the hypoid gears.

I think that Valvoline 85W/140 HP Gear Oil can replace the S.A.E. No.
140 and I believe that a Mobile DTE24 hydraulic oil in an ISO32 can
replace the Shell Tellus No. 29 Hydraulic Oil. I cannot locate any
specs on the Shell Tellus No. 29 Hydraulic Oil.

Call a Shell or Mobil industrial lubes dealer and ask them to
cross reference this stuff. I had to go through the same procedure
to find the right lubes for my Sheldon lathe.

I did find some on-line charts, though :
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/chart/lube.html

I also found something at Mobil that was useful, but I don't have a URL
for it. But, under industrial lubes at the main Mobil web site, they
have a description of all their industrial lube product lines.

Jon