Mike Marlow

"Hank Gillette" wrote in message
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

It just occurred to me that the replacement parts for the Sawstop could

be a
profit center for saw manufacturers. Especially if it falses

occasionally.
Probably be able to make as much margin on those as on a blade.

Wonder if he tried to sell it that way? The razor and blades approach.
Give away the sawstop and figure enough people are hamfingered enough to
make up the cost in consumables?

I may be overly suspicious, but I think the saw manufacturers don't want
to put it on their saws because in effect they would be admitting that
their previous saws were unsafe.

Not unsafe - dangerous. There is a big difference. Table saws have always
been acknowledged as being dangerous. I suspect it's more of a combination
of a few things. 1) Cost - always the big decider. 2) They may like the
idea but are now working on their own version so they are not subject to
redesign just to accommodate a proprietary solution. 3) They may be
resisting yet another government forced solution to a problem that is
sensationalized by an individual who is trumpeting it for his own personal
gain.
--

-Mike-