wayne

Heavy drape covering the door will help as will a white noise generator or
one of those boxes that does sound soft running water etc...

You want low density stuff that is soft to absorb the sound

Wayne

"effi" wrote in message
dunno if it works or any potential problems but remember someone saying
to fill such a door with sand (will the hinges hold?) and to make sure
plenty insulation in attic around door area and in walls around door,
noting insulation can be blown in existing walls

maybe a rubber type gasket all the way around the door so when you close
it, it seals, and maybe a rug on the floor to slide over any crack at the
bottom

might also be able to add hardie panel (made of mixture of cement and
wood) to your room walls for sound deadening

if you go all out and put hardie panel on the wall inside your room and
outside it (i.e. attached to different sides of the same 2 x 4 studs) use
different thicknesses on inside vs. outside, that way they won't pass the
same frequencies through them, enhancing the the ability of the dead space
inside them to deaden sound

or maybe just tack a big thick blanket over the door once you're in your
room

"Leroy Mowry" wrote in message
. com...
The 40-year old bedroom door easily passes sound. The door is
practically made up of thin plywood sandwiched to 1" x 2" studs
separated vertically by half a foot or so. The door closes tight, but
just enough to slip a credit card thru. Eventually, sounds of laughter
go into my R.E.M. sleep and create nightmares. I then go to work
at the grave yard shift like a Zombie. I'd tried and gave up using
earplugs since they keep falling off, create sores or just got tired of
disinfecting them to reduce ear infections. What are some ways I
can reduce sound on this rental unit?

Thanks