Doug Miller

In article , "ted harris" wrote:
In newsave Hinz typed:
snip
Public good is _not_ their motivation. That's fine, really it is, but
pretending it is is what gets me.

You mean the way the manufacturers that won't use the technology?...

I cannot believe the **** I am reading here...

Neither can I.

Sawstop was apparently invented around 1998 or so. This guy and his
employees have been fought around every corner for the last 7 yeays by
skeptical woodworkers, and muscled by the manufacturers.

"Fought around every corner" by the woodworkers, and "muscled by the
manufacturers"? That's a bit over the top, don't you think? How, exactly, does
declining to purchase a product that doesn't exist constitute "fighting"? How,
exactly, does declining to license any particular technology constitute
"muscling"? It's not like the manufacturers of other table saws tried to
prevent SawStop from coming to market; all they did was say "no thanks".

Looks to me like
he has devoted his life to getting this thing going.

Looks more like he has devoted his life to making a buck. Nothing wrong with
that, of course, but he's not exactly a philanthropist.

Now, after almost a
decade of rejection, sawstop is delivering saws as we speak.

Name one person, just *one*, who actually has one in his shop. I may have
missed it, but I haven't seen any evidence so far that they have yet shipped
any product to customers.

I wonder how
many times Steve Gass had to borrow money to feed his family and keep the
electricity on?

My money is on "zero". The guy's a lawyer, for pete's sake, and the United
States isn't exactly overrun with starving lawyers.

I'll be that even now he is in debt up to his eyeballs.

You probably lose that bet too.

He believes in this technology so much that he stuck his finger in it twice.

Granted...

Someday, all you naysayers and the rest of the world will view this
technology as one of the most important advances in rotational cutting
safety.

Keeping my fingers away from the freakin' blade is enough rotational cutting
safety to keep me happy.

Enough of your ridiculous conspiracy theories!

What "ridiculous conspiracy theories" are you referring to? I mean, besides
"fought around every corner... by skeptical woodworkers" and "muscled by the
manufacturers."

--
Regards,