Scott Lurndal

"ted harris" writes:
In news:Bob typed:
Would you pay $100 for everytime Sawstop fired or misfired to replace
the parts? Would you be comfortable installing safety mechanisms
yourself? Personally, I would answer No to both questions and therein
lies the dilemma for being commercially viable in the hobbyist market.
Bob

In my case it would be $70- for the cartridge, and $110- for the blade...and
I would like to state emphatically "yes" that I would gladly pay that many
times to keep my fingers and limbs intact. Is there really any other way to
look at it? Maybe for someone that was so cheap that they can justify not
spending the money to keep their digits and limbs there is a different
answer...but I don't think so.

The "right way" to look at it is statistically. There are X tablesaws
being used in a given geographical area. There are Y tablesaw injuries
in that same geographical area. Of those Y injuries, there are Z that
would have been prevented by SawStop. Unless Z is a significant
fraction of X, SS will likely not find much traction amongst the X
tablesaw owners.

Isn't easier to just not put your fingers in the blade rather than add
hardware to stop the blade when you do? A couple of home-made pushsticks
accomplish the same goals as the Saw-Stop, and the SS can't prevent
all tablesaw injuries (such as those caused by kickback) and may infact
cause more because of operator complacency.

scott