BillV

Default Stopcocks - any difference?

Francis wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:27:55 +0000, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:12:43 +0000, Francis
wrote:

Any difference between a main stopcock for a house and those in the
sheds described as "central heating stopcocks" ?

[T[ Possibly, depending on the actual tap.

I think there a 3 common tpes of inline 'tap'.

1) The real 'stopcock' with a rubber washer seal that has several
turns between on and off and really turns off (when new anyway g).
Has a T- bar type handle.

These from B&Q are with the bar handle and compression joints. But the
packs they are in are marked "central heating". The main stopcock in
the house is oozing a little water and I want to replace it. The
body of this one has a more barreled look.

You should be able to just change the screw in body of the stopcock with the
same bit from new one.
I'd get one from plumbers merchant or jewson not B&Q.
Of course you will have to turn off the house supply in the road or get the
water company to do it.

Is there any reason why "plumbers" run pipes so close together you can

hardly work on them?
Yes, they are idiots who don't think ahead to when maintainance has to be
done..