Charlie Self

mare writes:

when would hard be preferred over soft? and vice versa?

other than "how is the piece going to be used" are there some other
reasons to pick hard over soft?

I picked up some HD birch/maple 3/4" plywood for shop cabinets,
built-in bookcase, and misc other cabinetry furniture. Should I trim
it with soft or hard maple? Thoughts?

Soft. The hard variety is from old growth and that is not a source that
is sustainable forever.

Say what? Soft maple grows faster than hard maple, but "old growth" for hard
maple is way under 100 years. Much of it is in sugar bush country these days,
and it is replanted annually as older trees lose their sap producing ability.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston
Churchill