If there were 300,000 saws that required re-activation and new blades
every year (and you are talking US only) at a cost of several hundred
dollars each, you would see the price of pre-sawstop saws go through the
roof.

You would also likely see a class action suit from users of expensive
sawblades for damage due to false positives.

If in fact the blade is damaged. Does the current version of the Sawstop
damage the blade?

When I looked at it the answer was yes.

I'm not sure how users on a
remote site would take to having their saw shut down because someone
screwed up and used it to cut a ham sandwich. Would you be willing to

wait
for either the saw to be shipped to an authorized service center, fixed
and returned (and you still have to buy a new blade) or wait for someone
to come out and fix it (and you still have to buy a new blade)?.

Uh, why would you not just have a replacement cartridge on the shelf? Who
said that the saw has to be "shipped to an authorized service center" or
that you had to "wait for someone to come out and fix it"? You don't do
either of those when you blow a fuse do you?

No, you just flip the breaker. If the breaker blows, then yes, it usually
means a trip to the store plus some serious thought about why that happened.
Some may want an electrician to do this.

Or would
you rather wrap your knuckle in a starbucks napkin and run a few layers

of
masking tape over it and get on with your work?

I'm sorry, but I thought we were talking about a marketing strategy, not
about my personal preferences. And if the site has a starbucks nearby

then
it wouldn't seem to be so remote that getting a tech to come out would be
an insurmountable difficulty.

The suggestion is that parts dealers would not be so numerous as starbucks.

Sure it is an interesting idea, but it doesn't have practicallity on

it's
side. Saw manufacturers want to sell saws. They do not want to have to
deal with servicing saws. Saw buyers want to use saws. They do not want

wait for service which they can not perform themselves.

So they put the in themselves. Nobody has said anything about "waiting

for
service".

You disagree with me. That is OK. I'm just glad I don't HAVE to buy one if I
don't want one.

-j