Bernie Hunt

Darex says this will do it;
http://www.darex.com/products/xt3000.html

but then you could buy a lot of brad point bits for the price of the
sharpener.

Bernie

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun 12 Dec 2004 04:16:03a, (Max63) wrote in
om:

* Does anyone sharpen his own brad point drill bits?
* Is it worth the time (probably not, but is a challenge!)?
* How do you go about it (wheel / stone / file/ ...)?
Thx

I've been wondering that myself. I found this:
http://www.blackanddecker.com/Projec...px?DOC_ID=p_3_
36_13936_13944_13961.html

...which, if you can fix the line wrap, points to an extremely small
article saying:
"A brad-point bit has a center cutting point called a brad, and a pair of
cutters with outside points called spurs. Sharpen the spurs and the
inside edges of the cutters with a triangular saw file. Keep the pairs of
cutters and spurs at the same height, and take off as little material as
possible when sharpening."

And there's a couple pictures. You're doing it by hand and by feel. But
you have to keep those spurs at exactly the same height.

Drill doctor website says it'll sharpen 'em - if you don't mind turning
your brad point into a regular bit.

I've found a few entries in some woodworking forums. All of them say they
throw the bit away when it gets dull, so they take great care with the
ones they've got.

I've found references to some attachments for something or other that
claims to sharpen brad point bits. Haven't found the thing yet, but some
of the references indicate it's really expensive.

Bottom line is, either you go at it with a small triangular file and be
really careful and probably mess up a few bits before you get good at it
(that's been my history with such things, anyway), or you get a new bit.
There might be professional sharpeners out there. Haven't found one yet.

Dan