w_tom

Temporarily move laser printer to another circuit with
incandescent lights. Learn if printer does same on other
circuits. It is possible that a wire in that 15 amp circuit
is loose - not properly connected. In which case, you might
have a potentially serious problem. But we don't know since
we don't really know what is and is not a flicker - the
numbers. Some flickers are serious. Others are irrelevant.
Its all about how much. How much difference in light
intensity would tell us how large or minor the voltage drop
is. BTW, we are discussing brownouts - not surges. Those are
two completely different problems.

That Monster protector only provides two functions - more
receptacles and the 15 amp circuit breaker. Everything else
is irrelevant to your problem and has grossly enriched them at
your expense. A $3+ power strip from Walmart or Home Depot
would have accomplished same - assuming it too has the all so
important 15 amp circuit breaker.

As others have noted, other items on that 15 amp circuit are
a minor load. Furthermore, it may not be advisable to move
laser to another circuit - depending on how that laser
connects to computer.

Chris wrote:
Hey everyone,
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. My home is around 80
years old and the wiring has been updated. I use one of the upstairs
bedrooms as my office and have my computer, a television, a phone,
speakers and couple of misc items plugged into a decent Monster-brand
surge protector. I recently added a nice laser printer to the mix and
had to plug it into the same wall outlet that the surge protector is
in. When I did this, I noticed that the overhead room light starts to
slightly flicker in cycles. So far, it hasn't tripped the breaker, but
am I putting to much of a load on it? I don't want anything to catch
fire. Could the problem be remedied plugging it into a different
outlet in the same room? Not much of an electrician myself so any help
/ advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!