Lew Hodgett

"mark" writes:

Two questions in one night! I have a crappy 1hp (yeah, right!) 14"

bandsaw,
and I have a replacement motor. The only issue is the motor (a 1.5 horse
out of a delta contractor saw) runs at 3450 and the bandsaw motor runs at
1725. Can I just decrease the size of the motor pulley to get a safe

speed?

Absolutely, but do it right.

About the smallest sheave you want to use with an "A" section belt (FHP
motor belt) is 2"-2.5" which will have a pitch dia of 1.75"-2.25".

Take your existing sheaves from the 1725 RPM installation, measure them and
subtract about 1/4" which will get you close to the actual pitch diameter.

The ratio of the pitch diameters is the actual sheave ratio.
Since this will give you the existing sheave ratio, it is a straight forward
math problem to arrive at the correct solution for the new sheaves.

HTH

Lew