Art

I mentioned the warm up phase. Most laser printers go to sleep when not
used for a certain length of time. They will not cause flickering when in
sleep mode.

"Pop" wrote in message
Hi Chris,

No, you do not have a fire danger. It sounds like you're well
within the limit of a 15 amp breaker also so if I'm right, there
is no specific problem. By way of explanation:
The slight light flicker is typical for most laser printers,
especially the better ones. Periodically, the fuser in the
printer turns "on" for a short period of time, keeping itself
warm. That does a couple of things; it keeps the printer ready
to print (short print-start delays), and allows the fuse wire to
cool down a little, thus extending its life.
IFF you don't mind the flickering, and IFF it's not causing
any problems with your computer, then you could live with it if
you wanted to. The electrical surges the printer is drawing can
sometimes cause lockups, unexpected and "funny" problems with a
computer, but usually everything will work fine.
As one poster said, it would be better if you could power the
printer from a different beaker if there is one within reach.
However, if that other line also had lights on it, then THOSE
lights will likely flicker.
In my case, I have an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) for
my computer/monitor/external peripherals, and the printers plug
into the same outlet the UPS is on. The UPS does an excelleng
job of keeping the surges from getting into my system. Also, I'm
a cheap sob, so when I'm not using the printer, it's turned off,
along with scanner, the big color printer, etc. and I have
flourescent lighting so I don't see the spikes. ALL equipment is
on power bars so that I only turn on what I need at any
particular time. That way I know when I turn the power
bar -off-, that things are actually OFF, not just asleep and
still drawing just lower power.
Someone mentioned it being the "warmup" phase of the printer,
which I suppose is possible, but ... IMO you are probably seeing
the flickering peridically all the time, not just when the
printer comes on.
Usually, the manual for printers mentions the flickering.
Yours might, too.

HTH,

Pop

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
| Hey everyone,
| Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. My home is
around 80
| years old and the wiring has been updated. I use one of the
upstairs
| bedrooms as my office and have my computer, a television, a
phone,
| speakers and couple of misc items plugged into a decent
Monster-brand
| surge protector. I recently added a nice laser printer to the
mix and
| had to plug it into the same wall outlet that the surge
protector is
| in. When I did this, I noticed that the overhead room light
starts to
| slightly flicker in cycles. So far, it hasn't tripped the
breaker, but
| am I putting to much of a load on it? I don't want anything to
catch
| fire. Could the problem be remedied plugging it into a
different