Jim Adney

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:54:58 GMT "NSM" wrote:

Also I heard once that some cables use a low
Curie point coating which increases in resistance and heat loss below a
certain point melting off any ice build up.

Interesting idea, but the Curie point affects ferromagnetism, not
resistance, and the material would have to be iron based. I wonder if
there are any ferromagnetic materials which have Curie points below
0C? I'm not familiar with the range of possiblities, but the examples
I know of are all in the few hundreds of degrees C.

If the temp dropped below the Curie point and an iron cable suddenly
became ferromagnetic again, would that decrease the skin depth? If so,
this would work as you say.

Interesting question. I'm going to have to ask someone else about
this....

;-)

-
Jim Adney