C & S

The beam sat in pockets in the wall. The load of the beam (and what it
carried) was supported by 5 2x6's ganged together to form a post. The floor
structure simply sat on top of the beam. The 2x8 floor joists had an overlap
and were nailed together over the beam. A couple of holes should be drilled
through the top plate of the beam so that a lag screw can be inserted to
lock the beam to the floor structure.

My beam weighed in at about 600 lbs whickhwas not really as much as I
expected. It turned out that I had to make adjustments in its placement.
With a little creativity and leverage, it was not all that hard to
manipulate.

"Claudio" wrote in message
ups.com...
I did think about the steel I beam but I do not know how to work with
it. How do you join the joints ?

Claudio