Tony Hwang

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Chris wrote:

Hey everyone,
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. My home is around 80
years old and the wiring has been updated. I use one of the upstairs
bedrooms as my office and have my computer, a television, a phone,
speakers and couple of misc items plugged into a decent Monster-brand
surge protector. I recently added a nice laser printer to the mix and
had to plug it into the same wall outlet that the surge protector is
in. When I did this, I noticed that the overhead room light starts to
slightly flicker in cycles. So far, it hasn't tripped the breaker, but
am I putting to much of a load on it? I don't want anything to catch
fire. Could the problem be remedied plugging it into a different
outlet in the same room? Not much of an electrician myself so any help
/ advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

Assuming the wiring and breaker are up to code you are not risking fire
damage, but that voltage drop you are seeing is not good for computer
equipment. Best bet is a new circuit, or maybe a new printer with lower
power demands.

Hi,
Think surge protector has breaker as well which will pop if load is
excessive.
Tony