Ed Sirett

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:23:16 +0000, Derek Doormer wrote:

Hi,
As I have just found out.... IKEA cupboards have no service void so as to
run pipes etc round the back, so how have people over come this? I have all
my pipe work (Like most of us do) fitted to the wall so how have people
dealt with this? do you put a baton on the wall and fix the cupboards back
from the wall or cut out large sections of the back of the cupboards to run
the pipes through.

I don't really want to fit a baton to the cupboards as the rooms pretty
small as it is.

Thanks in advance for contributions and merry xmas
DD

Having fitted a number of IKEA kitchens.
I try to get all the services gas water and electric (remember to keep the
electric 25mm form the gas of course ;-) onto the skirting (or where it
would be).

Electric cables only have to be chased above the top and just near the
bottom of the carcase provided they come up in the middle of a base unit.

Sometime you have to cut hole for waste pipes in the back board.

The water comes up easily into the bottom of the box and is easy to
connect if you use Hep underneat and copper in the box and a pushfit L.

The gas pipe: Bring the pipe up vertically to a cap, drill hole in the
firght place in the bottom of the box, 'drop' the box over the pipe.

HTH

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk