I would think that the blade would stop before the saw drops. However, the
act of dropping could be a problem in itself. Suppose you slip and your hand
goes onto the blade. Thank god the saw blade witll stop spinning (perhaps),
but then the blade starts to drop and pulls down. Trapping your little pinky
between the tooth of the frozen blade. Suddenly you regret that you made
that nifty zero clearance plate....

-j

"Leon" wrote in message
news
I am guessing here but if the blade drops it is likely the tension on the
belts will lessen also. If the motor is effectively disengaged from the
blade via the loose belts the blade momentum would not have the motor
momentum added to the force that has to be stopped by the cartridge.

"Peter Wells" wrote in message
The review of the Sawstop system in the latest issue of FWW contains
the following: "The braking mechanism springs an aluminum cartridge
into the path of the blade as the whole blade assembly drops below the
surface of the tabletop, out of harm's way".

If the blade drops below the tabletop, what's the point of stopping it
? If it doesn't drop quickly enough to be safe, why drop it at all ?

only one p in my real address / un seul p dans ma véritable adresse