Gino

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:12:20 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:44:11 -0800, Gino calmly
ranted:

I can't afford much hardwood and have seen some beautiful stuff made with 'junk'
softwood lumber. But I also realise there are tricks to using the stuff that
don't apply to the pampered, dried, stored indoors hardwoods.

For the price of bad softwood, sanding sealer, stain, and a poly
topcoat (I gag just thinking about all that), you could have had
real hardwood and a Waterlox/paste wax finish and be done in half
the time with much prettier results. But it's your call.

But I'm not interested in hardwoods. My interest lies in using my locally grown
and cut softwoods.
I'm interested in seeing what can be accomplished with SPF.

You could tell a water color painter they would get better more durable results
with oils but I doubt you would convince them to switch for those reasons.