Dave Hinz

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:37:43 GMT, BobS wrote:
Fred said......

The problem with this device is people becoming dependent on it and being

careless, and then at a most inopportune moment, the device fails.

Sorta like brakes on a vehicle then....?

More like an airbag. If it were to go off at the wrong time, that'd be
bad. If it were to not go off when it should, that'd be bad too.
And if you rely on it as a supplimental safety feature and disregard the
primary safety features (seatbelts, paying attention, not being drunk/stoned/
stupid while driving) then you're asking for a world of hurt.

I believe a lot of the controversy on this subject was not so much the
technicalities but that the company tried to have legislation introduced
that would mandate this safety device.

Yes, that and the fact that they keep not being able to produce it. Having
been in both design and manufacturing, I recognize a "we can't make this
reliable enough to ship" situation when I see one, and I see one.

Like brakes on a vehicle - they've been known to fail also.

But Bob, brakes on a vehicle exist. Much like a retail Sawstop does not.