Dave Liquorice

Default Cowboy wiring - grumble, grumble, grumble.

On 27 Feb 2004 14:37:23 -0800, Martin wrote:

For a start labelling is all to cock, easy enough to sort out...

1)
Labelled: Shower
Rating: 16 amp
1 thin wire going in.
Controls:
garage -one dbl socket, extractor fan, light in downstairs loo
(spurs off of spurs etc)
landing - one dbl socket
study - two dbl sockets
spare - one dbl socket
bedroom - three dbl sockets

This is rather odd. All those sockets should be on a 32A ring. Though
a 16A radial is within the regs I think provided the cable is 2.5mm^2.
I take it you don't actually have an electrically heated shower. I
wonder if someone has broken the ring fitting those spurs. Time to
trace the wiring if you can. The spurs off spurs is suspicious and
needs to be corrected anyway.

2)
Labelled: Sockets
Rating: 32 amp
2 thin wires
Controls:
living room - 3 dbl sockets
kitchen - 2 dbl sockets

Seems OK. Downstairs ring main.

3)
Labelled: Sockets
Rating: 40 amps
1 thick wire
Controls:
Kitchen cooker socket (hob and oven are both gas - control
igniters only)
Shower

Wrong label. Should be "Cooker". Position 3 may be dubious, it is
recomended that heavy loads like cookers and showers are placed in the
CU as near to the main switch as possible.

4)
Labelled: lights
Rating: 6 amps
1 thin wire
Controls:
Upstairs lights

Seems OK, label could be better "Upstairs Lights".

5)
Labelled: lights
Rating: 6 amps
1 thin wire
Controls:
Downstairs lights

Seems OK, label could be better "Downtairs Lights".

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail