Gino

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:46:25 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:16:12 -0800, Gino calmly
ranted:

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:47:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 00:27:01 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"
calmly ranted:

"Ryan Brooke" wrote in message
m...

Is a thick top made of construction 2x4 bolted and glued worth the effort
or
would I be better off with 2-3 inches of MDF with a replaceable plywood
top.

What is the downside of using arborite desktops?
They are 1" thick MDF and the standard size of 30x60 (my bench size) are
cheap
as hell from second hand office supply stores. replacing them would be a
snap.

I've been using a old door for the past two years.

This group has become rec.mdfworking. :-)

And rec.norm, rec.minwhacked, rec.stain, rec.poly, etc. sigh

I wish there was a rec.woodworking.constructiongrade.softwoods.

I can't afford much hardwood and have seen some beautiful stuff made with 'junk'
softwood lumber. But I also realise there are tricks to using the stuff that
don't apply to the pampered, dried, stored indoors hardwoods.

I would love to see more project pictures and talk about creating with SPF from
the back lot.

That would be alt.construction.birdseyeSPF, Gino. Go for it!

I'm worried the only members would be me and JOAT.
Just kidding JOAT, I'm sure we would get a few of the 'best' trolls as well.

Also check back in Google Groups for Jim McNamara. He was an
SPF artiste.

Thanks, I'll do that. I've been collecting and storing the best of my SPF as I
built an addition and workshop. Now I need all the tips I can get on how to
create nice stuff that won't turn to junk in a year or two.
Even my book club is short on 'how to SPF' except for very rustic mostly outdoor
and college dorm creations.
Tips on building furniture on a weekend afternoon with a hammer and an axe I
don't need. I've been doing that for years.
Now I have a few good tools and a nice little shop to work in and no money left
for the good wood.

-----
= The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development