Doug Kanter

Default Installing ceiling electric box

Just wondering what sort of "gotchas" others have run into. Here's the
situation:

Single-story home, built in 1956. Attic is easily accessible, although full
of pink insulation. There's already switch at the room's doorway which
controls an outlet. I plan on setting up the outlet to be constantly on, and
using the switch to control the ceiling fixture. What I'm wondering is, how
likely is it that between the switch box and the attic, the only obstruction
I need to drill through (to drop the wire) will be at the attic level, as
opposed to unseen wood that's JUST far away enough from the attic beams that
a drill bit won't reach.

And: Running the wire across to the ceiling box, I'm guessing that code (and
common sense) would dictate attaching to the side of the beam, not the top.
Yes, no, maybe?