wayne

I have had CFLs in my opener for about 3 years with no problems the cold
does effect them but they do warm up pretty quickly the other thing you can
do is make an extension and mount a standard light on a rafter. You can get
a duplex outlet screw adapter then just pick up a couple of those clamp on
type lamps to hang on the rafter. No heat no vibration and plenty of light!

Wayne

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I put 2 CFLs in my GDO about a year ago. The only 2 problems are, the
plastic translucent cover no longer fit and CFLs start off dimmer when you
first turn them on. So, I left off the cover ... that's ok and used higher
wattage bulbs. I get lots more light (especially once they warm up) and,
so far, no problems. As there is no traditional filament in the CFLs, I
would suspect vibration shouldn't be a problem.

Ron wrote:
After scanning many message boards about Sears/Craftsman garage door
openers, I found a lot of problems with their logic boards.

Yesterday I had a Sears technician troubleshoot a chattering originating
from the long screw in the channel (3/4hp screw drive model), and he
mentioned not to use 100w light bulbs due to excessive heat, especially
on the logic board side -- the one where the wires connect. Even though
my GDO is rated for 100w bulbs. He says the heat is the main cause of
logic board failure. He recommends only up to 60w.

For some reason, that makes a lot of sense. Indeed with the 100w bulb in
there, the plastic casing even with the metallic reflective foil became
very hot.

SO, reduce the heat by using lesser wattage bulbs. Hmm...wonder how
compact flourescents would work.

BTW, the chattering...he squirted WD-40 (?!?) and declared the sound
as normal. Sucky tech, but at least got some good advice from him.