Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, I know it looks like I have too much time on my hands. I'm
making a list for HD, and I said "washer" when my buddy said "gasket."
I thought before I logged off for the day I'd ask alt.home.repair's
stupid question of the day.

Gaskets seal things. They are usual shaped to match the surfaces to be
mated, be it a jar, oil pan on an engine, pumps, etc.

Washer are disks with a hole in them. they are used to protect surrounding
surfaces, keep bolt heads or nuts from pulling through a hole, locking nuts
in place. While they may act as a seal at times, that is not the intended
purpose.