Norminn

clipped

Now there is one type of termite that has hit the U.S.A. now days and started in
Florida and has been seen as far as Louisiana and they are Non-Ground type
termites and never have to go to the ground everyday to go back to the nest.

Three major types of termites live here - dry-wood, damp-wood, and
subterranean. Many varieties within each group, and different varieties
in different areas of the country. Dry wood and subterranean have very
different methods of control. All have swarmers, which are mating
couples flying off to establish new colonies. Subs do the most
structural damage in Florida, and the infamous Formosans in New Orleans
are a type of sub. Dry wood terms don't need to leave the wood to get
moisture. Subs build mud tubes to get from colony in ground into your
wood; they also like entries like openings for pipes and the inside of
crawlspaces. Anyone with wood parts on their house should be familiar
with the methods of detection and prevention. We have annual
inspections, but I've never had a termite inspector ask to open the
plumbing access panel to look. I do that myself.

Our condo has had neglected areas, including an exterior panel that had
sprinklers blasting it for years. Big hole. Rotted 2x4's. Section of
1x12 with nothing left of it but the paint. Very interesting clue: they
do not eat paint.

They will go to your attic and just stay there and never go back to the ground.
They fly into your attic or home and are not ground type termites. I'm not clear
on them for my bug man who sprays my house was telling me about them and he said
they have not got the pattern they like as of not to get rid of them.

I'm not a termite expert at all but i listen to my termite / Roach pest control
man. He has them pegged when keeping them out of my house and I have fire wood
everywhere around my house. He says keep it off the ground.

TURTLE